Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Loyal AT&T Customer
I've been an AT&T customer since 2000; I survived faux Cingular buyout which I already knew was going back to AT&T.

Seriously, AT&T is a telecommunications company; not having a wireless business is like a person not having arms. Sure you can function but how do you wipe your ass? See my point.

The truth of the situation is that the service has been good. While I hear about the horror stories from AT&T and other companies, it's the other companies that scare me the most. I can seriously say that I've never had a serious problem with AT&T. My last call to customer service was in regards to double charges. Without question, I got a full refund plus credit on my account for other things. I simply can not complain.
Loyal Ericsson Customer
I started out with a crappy Nokia918 as a free offer. Since then, I've had exclusively Ericsson cellular phones. I've always upgraded my phone at the end of the one-year contract. In fact, I still have some of the cell phones from those days, one with the thick, stubby antenna and yellow/green monocrhome screen.

I've stuck with Ericsson for many reasons. They are at the forefront of it all. In fact, everytime you use Bluetooth technology, get on your knees and give thanks to Ericsson. Beyond that, if you've ever had an Ericsson phone, you already know you won't have functionality problems. It just works.
At any rate, I don't think anyone on this planet can say that I don't know anything about loyalty. Loyalty is specifcally why I will keep Sony in parentheses when referring to Ericsson.

Problems with Loyalty
Currently, I am working with (Sony) Ericsson w810i. The phone is great. I have had it for two years now and I still get "compliments" on it such as, "I hate that you have FM radio on your cell phone." However, it's a year longer than I intended on keeping this phone. I really want another Sony Ericsson phone but I don't see any decent models being offered by AT&T. And, the other services are looking much much better, except for Sprint. Sprint still sucks.

I do keep track of Ericsson phones and there have been some killer models, namely the w960i which has a touch screen, direct competition for Apple iPhone at the time. Unfortunately, it came out in China even though the specifications seem prime for the US market under AT&T. Now, (Sony) Ericsson has a new phone which completely merges everything that I've wanted in a phone, the Xperia X1 also referred to as SEX1. And, yes it is SEX. However, it seems to be the same problem with w960i. This phone is being released elsewhere in the world and it's supposedly going to be released in the US in early 2009 although it had a late 2008 date.
And this is why I am pissed
First of all, what's with the crappy line up of AT&T phones. The best thing they've got now is the Apple iPhone and let's be honest, that's a cheap toy. When it comes to my "shiny things" I don't care for cheap toys. The other phones simply suck. I've seen the level of their functionality and their bricks in my opinion. Even the bare (Sony) Ericsson options are weak compared to the phone I've already got. To choose from the current line up of AT&T phones would be a downgrade. I simply can't see myself downgrading while signing up for another 2-year contract.

To make matters worse, a few months ago, my phone took a shallow bath. As I was driving, my phone was in the cup holder and hooked up the stereo playing mp3s. There was drink in the other cupholder. I didn't see it tip over and it spilled just enough to leave my phone in some trouble. I was able to dry it out effectively enough to save it. The only problem that I have with it currently is that I can't hear anything when I talk on it. I have to use either the speakerphone or Bluetooth. Now, I need a new phone or I really really want a new phone.
Here are my options:
  1. New phone, carrier
  2. New (Sony) Ericsson phone, same carrier
  3. Any new phone, same carrier
  4. Unlocked phone, same carrier
  5. Continue waiting, same carrier
Honestly, I am stuck between options 3, 4, and 5. Although I've been looking at other carriers, I just don't see the difference when all of the device options are either the same or pretty much suck. And, the service and price of other carriers isn't exactly doing much to make me want to switch.

Solution: I will wait. I will wait until one of two things happens:
  1. I will be getting a Blackberry Bold which is supposed to come out under AT&T.
  2. the SEX1 announces a specific date of entry into the US market that is REASONABLE.

0 comments:

Post a Comment