Thursday, May 28, 2009










HUGS, KISSES, CONGRATULATIONS,
A TEARFUL GOOD-BYE and YOUR
PRAYERS:



Very often, even life's most proudest and happiest moments can be bitter sweet, filled with as many tears as they are with smiles and laughter, with as much sadness and remorse for words unspoken as they are with feelings of pride and joy over a loved one's accomplishments, and they can often cause one to look back, remembering days and moments long past while reminding one of just how many years they have amassed under their belts. This weekend will be just one of those moments for me.

I will be leaving early tomorrow morning, May 29th, for Dover, Delaware to attend the high school graduation of my oldest granddaughter.



Kemberly is graduating from Caesar Rodney High School in Dover, Delaware on Saturday, May 30th, and will head off to Pennsylvania in August to begin her college education to become a Pharmacist.

It goes without saying that I am extremely proud of Kemmie. Saturday will be a day of pride and joy over her accomplishments, not only academically, but also in her four years as a member of her high school's Junior Air Force R.O.T.C. program.

As her graduation day approaches, I cannot help but remember watching my precious first granddaughter grow from an infant to the beautiful and smart young lady she is today.


#1) Kemberly at three months old, in the arms of her proud Dad: 1991.














#2) Kemberly at age three, with her brother Christin: 1994.


#3) Kemberly at age four with Christin. This picture was taken when her Dad was stationed in Okinawa, Japan: 1995.





















#4) Kemberly at age thirteen; 2004.


#5) Kemberly at age fifteen; 2006.















#6) Kemmie at age sixteen in her R.O.T.C. uniform; 2007



#7) Kemberly, age seventeen and a half in cap and gown;
2009.

















Saturday will also be a day of extreme sadness for me as well, as I bid a tearful good-bye to Kemberly's Dad, my oldest son Tung Joseph, who will be leaving early Sunday morning, May 31st, for a three year stint in his country of birth, Vietnam, with the United States Air Force. As many of you know, I have four adopted sons, three from Vietnam and one from Laos. As they were growing up, I made sure that they were educated so as not to forget their native languages or customs. Since Tung is fluent in his native language (he can read, write and speak Vietnamese) he was chosen by his commanding officer to take part in a military-to-military task force between the U.S. and Vietnamese governments to finally put to rest the question of M.I.A's and P.O.W.'s that have not been heard from since the end of the Vietnam War. They will also be working on issues of immigration. My son's main job will be to act as a liaison interpreter between his commanding officer and the Vietnames counterpart. By the time Tung returns home in 2012, he will have twenty-three years of service with the United States Air Force.

And as Munchkin and I return home on Monday morning, June 1st, it will be with a heavy heart filled with a longing for those days that have faded into a distant memory, days when my home was filled with the happy laughter of four little boys at play, good night hugs and kisses and whispered "I love you dad". Of many Friday and Saturday nights when my sons invited their friends over for weekend 'sleepovers' and pizza parties, making the living room floor look like it had a wall-to-wall carpet made of Southeast Asian boys. A longing for those wonderful summer days when I took them camping and they were each allowed to bring along two friends each, and they would all run around the campgrounds playing, of all things, "Vietnam War".


#1) Tung Joseph at age two; 1970 - (this picture was taken in an
orphanage in Vietnam eight years before I was finally able to adopt him.)


#2) Tung Joseph at age thirteen; 1981.
















#3) Tung Joseph at age seventeen at his Senior Prom; 1985


#4) Tung Joseph after completing Air Force basic training at age nineteen; 1987.

















#5) Tung Joseph on his wedding day with his wife and mother-in-law,
April 22nd, at age twenty-two; 1990 - (I perfomed his wedding ceremony).


#6) Tung Joseph on duty, age forty; 2008.















Thus shall I return home feeling like a lonely old man, but with my heart swelling with pride, not only for Kemmie and her dad, but for all four of my sons and my eight grandchildren.

I ask for each of your prayers for a bright and happy future for Kemmie and the safe return of her Dad.

Thanks

0 comments:

Post a Comment