Wednesday, August 27, 2008

When I found out that TVOne was covering the Democratic National Convention in Denver, I was immediately on board. I marked it on my calendar and I make sure to set the timer every night. It was necessary that I watch the DNC through this intelligent, educated, African American lens. Switching between CNN and TVOne, I found the personality and colloquial attitude of the show more appealing than the straightforwardness of CNN. And as I watched the DNC through TVOne, it made me feel proud to see so many African American men and women reporting and commenting during and after the DNC.

Here are some of these great people:
  • Jacque Reid "brings a wealth of experience and talent along with a stylish, contemporary presence to the Party. The former CNN and BET correspondent will help the Dyson's keep a gang of celebrities in order as they get loose and keep it real."
    Note: I specifically remember Jacque Reid from the BET Nightly News, of course, before they took the Nightly News off the air. I have had a crush on this woman since then.
  • Dr. Michael Eric Dyson "is one of today's most respected intellectuals, authors and speakers who has been praised by hip-hop superstars like Jay-Z and Nas."
  • Hill Harper "brings his good looks, charm, and knowledge to the After Party. Who better to reflect on the DNC events then Harper, who attended Harvard with Barack Obama himself?"
  • Sheryl Underwood is "a 20-year comedy veteran, Sheryl is sure to keep this historic moment funny and funky. Sheryl's sense of humor is sure to help politically uptight guests to loosen their ties and live it up at the After Party."
And there are many more hosts and personalities that will show up during the show. Day 3 included Micheal Baisden, Chuck D, Tatyana Ali, and John Legend. Of course as black folk do, they got John Legend to sing a song for free while G. Garvin danced with (my woman) Jacque Reid.

Anyway, I'll be catching the final day of the DNC through TVOne. Since, I've got DirecTV, I am good to go. But, I know TVOne still isn't broadcast everywhere and many people can't see it. You can at least catch the DNC Live After Party with all of those people online.

On another note, has anyone compared TVOne with BET? Here is how I compare the two:
  • TVOne is like a beautiful woman that talks back to you while BET is like an ugly chick that says, "HEY BOY! YOU CUTE!" and chases you down 42nd Street. (true story)
  • TVOne is like a delicious homemade meal while BET is like a chicken box with a missing piece.
  • TVOne is like a newborn baby, smelling all newborn baby fresh while BET is like a partial birth abortion.
  • TVOne is like a hug from a loving mother while BET is like that foster mother from Antwone Fisher.
  • TVOne is like a police officer letting you off with a warning while BET is like getting shot in the back by cops.
  • TVOne is like a new comment on my blog while BET is like no page hits in two days. *AHEM*
  • TVOne is like Barack and Michelle Obama while BET is like Whitney and Bobby.
  • TVOne is like ME while BET is like.. nobody I want to even be associated with.
TVOne makes you proud of African Americans while BET makes you want to date far outside of your race (like are there any aliens around?)!

No, I do not like BET at all!

0 comments:

Post a Comment