Friday, April 3, 2009

As long as I've been smoking marijuana, I've had hear all of the garbage myths. The worst myth of them all is that marijuana is addictive. The real reason anti-legalization activists - police and criminals alike - say marijuana is addictive is to liken it to heroin and cocaine to add that connotation of "dangerous substance".

But, I digress..

As many times as I've quit smoking marijuana, even for extended periods of time, I've never experienced withdrawal symptoms. In fact, I've never really known what a withdrawal symptom felt like until now.

Today, around noon, NYC had a little thunderstorm. It boomed loud as hell. I saw the flash of light outside of my window. It was just awesome if you ask me. I noticed my internet wasn't working. I figured it was the storm and things would be back to normal soon. No such luck.

Around 6, I called Verizon. Sure enough I talked to someone who probably doesn't live in the US. And, of course, she ran me through the guantlet of dumb ass things to do to fix the connection. They call it troubleshooting. I call it a waste of my time.

Although, I do understand they do this because most people are incredibly stupid. Some people just need to be told things like, "Check if the power cord is plugged in.". And, it solves the BULK of complaints. And, I know I won't be recognized as someone who CAN set up a modem, router, build a computer, or doesn't use antivirus because I can actually do it myself. No, ithey don't know that so I get treated like Sarah Palin.

But, I digress...

After I jump through all the hoops with customer service - like literally switching the ends of the cord from the router to the modem - she finally tests the line from her office to realize the real issue is on their end. Yeah, that's why I called you. I know the problem is on your end.

Everytime I have a problem, it's on YOUR end. And not just Verizon but AT&T, Blackberry, DirecTV, ConEd and every organization, business, and corporation that I need to facilitate my technological existence.

But, I digress...

She called "dispatch" because they schedule the technicians to come to my spot. Unfortunately I have to wait until April 9th and this all took place on the 3rd. So, 6 days without internet.

So, I've decided to survive on whatever wifi connection I can steal in the neighborhood. Unlike Manhattan's mostly dumb ass, wifi ignorant residents, Bronx residents actually set up their security. I found only one unsecured connection and it's intermittent at best.

It hasn't even been a full day yet and I am constantly checking my modem in the hopes they found a fix at the Verizon "office". I can't seem to just close my laptop and wait. I have my cellphone, Blackberry Bold aka BBAnthony, with the full data plan. But, I can't maneuver on it like I can on the computer. Arrgghhh! I'm suffering over here with no connection. I actually thought about driving into Manhattan where I know I'd find rampant open residential connections.

When I stop smoking marijuana, it's like not eating my favorite food. I miss it, can't wait to have it, but I'm in no rush or need to get it. By the way, my favorite food is stew chicken with rice and peas, West Indian style and I can't remember the last time I've had that.

But, I want my damn internet back! I have to find a way to cope.
Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

Update (April 5th, 2009 @ 4:42pm)
I've finally figured out how to use my BlackBerry Bold as a modem through bluetooth. I needed a little help from the forums but I got it eventually. It's a lot easier than those tutorials made it out to be but I still needed some foundation or fundamental knowledge. First and foremost, I am on Windows Vista. With that out the way, make sure to set up a new network connection and input dialup number which not a typical phone number. I just set up one and 2 alternates - *99#, *99***3#, *99***1#. No need for a username or password. It just connected. The speeds suck probably because it's through BT and BT is not meant for high speed data access but I have a better level of functionality. No youtube and no hulu either. And, definitely no World of Warcraft. I'll survive without my level 80 Orc Rogue. FOR THE HOOOOORDE. LOL

0 comments:

Post a Comment